Jen Breach writes character-based adventure comics about ordinary children in extraordinary circumstances.
Jen has been self-publishing since 2006. Her first picture book Something’s Amiss at the Zoo was published by Lothian Children’s/Hachette Australia in 2015. Her first graphic novel Clem Hetherington and the Ironwood Race will be out from Scholastic Graphix in March 2018. Both books are co-created with the absurdly talented artist Douglas Holgate.
Jen has won some really lovely awardy-type things, including:
- a 2014 Arts Victoria project grant for Maralinga
- a 2014 Australian Society of Authors Children’s Picture Book Illustrators’ Initiative prize for Maralinga
- a 2013 Australian Society of Authors Mentorship for Clem Hetherington and the Ironwood Race
- a 2012 artists’ fellowship at the Atlantic Center for the Arts, Florida.
- a 2010 Australia Council for the Arts Emerging Writers’ Grant.
Jen wrote a column for The Big Issue Magazine from 2009-2016 and her essays and reviews have been printed here and there.
She was an archaeologist once, and then retrained as a librarian. She has written comics about both archaeologists and librarians. She currently works as a business analyst for a contemporary music college, but can’t really see a comic coming out of that.
From Melbourne, Australia, Jen is currently based in Boston, Massachusetts.
She twoots as (imaginatively) @jenbreach
And instagrams as (you know it) jenbreach
Photo credit Michael Belcher 2015